The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to consider a plea to stay the second post-mortem of a girl student who died allegedly by suicide in Kallakurichi in Tamil Nadu, in an incident which led to a large scale violence and arson in the state.
The victim’s father, who suspected her daughter was raped and murdered, approached the top court against the second post mortem, scheduled on Tuesday as per a direction by the Madras High Court.
A counsel on his behalf mentioned the plea before a bench presided over by Chief Justice N V Ramana for urgent hearing.
—Kallakurichi violence: Madras High Court orders second post-mortem of 16-year-old girl
“Sorry, the High Court is already seized of the matter. You don’t have trust on the High Court,’ the bench said.
A counsel for the Tamil Nadu government submitted that the High Court had already set up a panel of doctors for the second post-mortem.
The counsel, appearing for the girl’s father insisted for a direction to the state government to not go ahead with the second post-mortem.
However, the top court was not convinced and declined to entertain the plea.
The father sought a direction to include a forensic expert of his choice on the panel constituted by the High Court to conduct the second post-mortem of the girl’s body. The high court, while rejecting the request, said such inclusion was sought for not any bona fide reasons, since it was made first time during the submissions, and it was not made in the plea.
The FIR was lodged in the matter on July 13 on a complaint by the father, suspecting foul play by the school in the death of his minor daughter.